November 01, 2009

Movie Night!

I have been thinking about this while I lay in bed waiting to fall asleep. It doesn't take me too long to nod off so it has taken quite some time to put this list together!

I have been trying to decide what my top 5 favorite movies of all times are.
And in answer to the question you are thinking, but do not want to ask out loud because you are alone and looking at a computer screen ... No, I don't have better things to think about.

Well, after much deliberation here is the much anticipated list.

Drum Roll Please........


Number 5:
"Cheaper By the Dozen" I am talking about the old one with Myrna Loy and Clifton Webb. Tied with "Meet Me In St. Louis"
It's my list so I can have a tie if I want to.

The original "Cheaper By the Dozen" is so cute and fun. It is also very interesting to see how the role of an intelligent woman is handled as a submissive wife. Lillian Gilbreth maintains her dignity and does not discredit her intelligence in any way while showing respect and submission to her character of a husband.

"Meet Me In St. Louis" is really just one of the movies that I enjoy of Judy Garland's. I love the time period this movie is set in and the music it classic.





Number 4:

"Lonesome Dove"


I know this is technically not a movie, but is a mini-series, but again...it is my list.

I also know this movie seems very out of place on this list, but I just really like Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall and I enjoy a good western every now and again. So what's the big deal?



Number 3:

"Steal Magnolias"


What an example of true friendship. Six totally different personalities yet they are loyal, dependable, honest friends. There is never a hint of jealousy, judgment or uneasiness, just pure friendship between all of them. And the story line, ahhh....I cry every time I see Sally Field have her fit of rage at the end of the funeral. I'm a little teary eyed right now. sniff sniff



Number 2:

"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"


I love black and white movies and this is another movie with Myrna Loy. This movie just takes you right out of the days problems and puts you in a fantasy where money is no object and women always looked glamorous and everyone lives happily ever after.



And The Number One All Time Favorite Movie of Mine Is..........




What can you say about "Gone With The Wind"? It is spectacular. Four hours of pure southern belle drama. The movie is outstanding in spite of and because of it's 1939 special effects. In fact, that adds to the charm of the movie. The burning of Atlanta is a sight to behold.

I am deeply saddened and hang my head in shame when I say that my daughters have never seen this epic film. I am sorry girls, I have failed you as a mother. I hope that some day soon, they will take an afternoon and watch this movie.

Honorable Mention:
**Edited to spell Anne Shirley's name correctly...what was I thinking? It is Ann with an e. Duh!**
"Elf", "Anne of Green Gables", "A Christmas Story", "Driving Miss Daisy", and anything with Myrna Loy or Cary Grant.

So there you have it. Don't ask me why I felt burdened to share this with you. I guess now if they should have an open mic night at my funeral and you can't think of anything nice to say about me, you can always sigh and say "She really liked old movies...and who the heck is Myrna Loy anyway?"

No comments:

Post a Comment