February 10, 2009

Bambi the Birdseed Bandit

I have always suspected it, but had never had solid proof to confirm it. Now I do.

As part of the aging process, one is expected to do silly little things that amuse and occupy the one that is growing old gracefully. Over the last few years my diversion has been feeding the birds.

Now relax, I am not sitting on park benches tossing crumbs to the gathering pigeons.....yet. But I have hung multiple bird feeders about the yard. I started with one bird feeder out by my gazebo. Then came the finch feeder right up by the family room window. This year I added a suet cage and hung a much larger feeder in the front of the house. Now laugh if you will, but it is very comforting to see the different birds that visit my feeders. I see quite a few cardinals, chickadees, woodpeckers, doves, sparrows and finches. There have even been some that I didn't know what they were. That is the next stage...buying field guides to help identify the different species that I see. I'm not there yet, but I am sure it is just around the corner, along with bird watching clubs and vacations.

So this little hobby of mine had started to cost a little bit more than what I expected. Who thought that those tiny little birds could eat so much? But honestly as much seed as I have gone through, these birds should be as big as basketballs. Then I started seeing the evidence...the footprints. Deer. Lots of them too. But I had never caught one in action until this weekend.

Sunday morning as we were getting ready for church, I looked out the front window and see this.

So I followed them around the back of the house and right there in the middle of the morning, in broad daylight, in front of God and everybody they stop for a snack!!!







Needless to say as I sit here and type all of the bird feeders are empty right now. I have to go buy some more seed and hopefully the little birds will get some before the big, fat, stupid deer get it all. I'm sorry, that wasn't very nice. But neither is raiding my bird feeders. And if they stomped all over my rose bushes I am really gonna be mad.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

No comments:

Post a Comment