August 09, 2009

Don't Just Go Back To School....ROCK Back To School

It's back to school time and that means new school supplies!!! I love to buy me some school supplies. There is just something about a new box of crayons that holds so much hope for the future. There are no broken tips, all of the colors are still in the box and the possibilities are endless. There will be pictures to be colored. Maps to be drawn. There will be cards made for special people. And don't get me started on a new spiral notebook! Oh to think of the stories and journals that will be written out on the 8 x 10 1/2 wide margin ruled papers just thrills me

There is one item though I have never really understood the need for; the protractor. For years and years I bought each my kids one of the plastic half-circles with a ruler on the bottom and numbers going around the curved top and they were never used. I have come to believe that the Teachers Union was in cahoots with the protractor makers and received some under the table cashola for putting it on the school supply list year after year.

I haven't had the opportunity to purchase school supplies for quite some time. After Stephanie's freshman year in college she finally cut me off. Told me that SHE would buy her own notebooks, pens, markers, pencils and planners that she hadn't even used crayons since the 4th grade. I was so sad. Took me weeks to pull my self together. I would often find myself wondering the aisles of Wal-Mart just breathing in the sweet smell of colored wax lost in the memories of years gone by.

But wait!!!! There is a new student in town!!! That's right, Miss Amber is a newly inducted kindergartner! I am back on the school supply trail once again!!! I was so excited to take Amber out for the necessities of kindergarten! Oh the choices --- There are boxes of crayons that come in 8, 24, 48, or 64 crayons. Oooooo I just got chill bumps thinking about them!

So off we go. Our first stop is Target. We got the crayons, pencils, glue, glue sticks and a perfectly rockin' Hannah Montanna lunch box.

This is just ONE aisle of Crayola products.




Then we darted over to Kohl's where we searched and searched for the perfect first day out fit. It is of the utmost importance that you look your absolute best on the first day of school. How you look on the first day will set the course for how the entire year is played out. Go to school on the first day in just any old out fit and you will be eating your PB&J by yourself in the art teachers storage closet for the rest of the year. Start the year out with a bold fashion statement and you are a shoe in for homecoming queen. Or at least won't have to be best friends with the lunch lady. Take a look at Amber's first day outfit.

Stunning don't you think.


Didn't need any new panties. Definitely didn't need a new bra because in the words of Amber "I'm not a woman yet."

But did find a Hannah Montanna back pack to match the lunch box of course.



Here is the whole ensemble. I think Amber will do just fine in kindergarten!


But this little guy has a few more years before Grandma Dee takes him to get his school supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment