July 25, 2009

To Market To Market To Buy A Fat Zucchini!

Yeah for Farmer's Markets!!

I love going to farmer's markets and county fairs. I think it makes me feel like I have some kind of soul connections with people who grow their own food! If someone offered me the chance to move out into the country and live on a farm and grow cows and pigs and my own vegetables, I would do it in a heart-beat. I would even turn Amish if I had to.

But that is not likely to happen, so I will just be satisfied with my trips to the local farmer's markets.

Today we went to the Beloit Farmers Market. It is really very nice and has a lot of vendors. There are vegetables galore along with crafts, flowers and homemade goodies. Love the Dutch Apple Pie from Kauffmans Country Store!!

Nashville, TN has an awesome market. It is three buildings full of everything you could dream of. Franklin, TN also has a nice one. They even offer a $3 glass of homemade lemonade!! Ithaca, NY has a quaint market as well. I have no favorite I just enjoy them all.

So here is a snapshot of today's bounty. Notice that the Dutch Apple Pie is not pictured, that is because I thought it would be rude to show a picture of a half eaten pie. But trust me, it was a work of art!


Tonight, we enjoyed the fresh, vine ripened tomatoes along with the juicy corn on the cob and zucchini fixed on the grill. Yum! I fix the corn by husking it then wrapping it in foil with a few pats of butter, throw it on the grill and in about 10 minutes it is ready to eat. With the zucchini, I just slice it into quarter inch thick circles, throw it in a plastic bag and drizzle it with some olive oil. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper and some grill seasoning, shake it up so the seasoning is well distributed then put it on the grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side.

We will look forward to the green beans later this week and the home made granola will be in my yogurt tomorrow!!

Next Saturday I might get a little adventurous and buy a kohlrabi....if I can figure out what it is and how to cook it! Until then...Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment