September 17, 2009

A Journey Begins With Just A Single Step

You might want to grab a snack and a beverage cause this one is gonna be kind of long.

So my journey begins......

Thursday, my first full day, went very well. The girls at work ordered breakfast pizza, but I refrained and stuck with my low fat, sugar-free yogurt. I made sure I ate a serving of vegetables with my Lean Cuisine at lunch. I get those single serve frozen veggies they are just the right serving size and easy to heat up in the microwave. Then for dinner I made spaghetti with whole wheat pasta and a salad. So far so good.

So on Friday they decided to hand out cookies at work as a sort of Thank You for pitching in and helping out after they "reduced the workforce". I didn't leave mine sitting on the desk to think about or to just take a nibble on every now and then, but I gave mine away immediately!!! At dinner I even ordered a side of steamed vegetables. I also got in about 32 oz of water today. Still need to work on getting in some sort of exercise.

Saturday we had a cook out with our friends from our church. Even though I know what I ate wasn't "healthy", I took small portions, stopped once they were gone and moved on. I had a hot dog with chili and cole slaw (it was to die for), calico beans and a small slice of strawberry jam cake . Not what I would call a Weight Watcher meal, but one hot dog instead of two was a success. A small slice of cake instead of a slice of cake, a taste of pie and two or three chocolate oatmeal cookies (my favorites...you know the kind you make with cocoa, peanut butter and oatmeal and drop on wax paper) was certainly a victory in my eyes.

Sunday - Baked Tostitos and homemade black bean and corn salsa for lunch. I thought that was a reasonable lunch. The beans were protein, the corn, tomatoes, onions and cilantro were the veggies. Dinner consisted of a PBJ on diet bread, an apple with a dollop of peanut butter and a handful of reduced fat Kettle Cooked Lays. This could have been better....but it also could have been Pizza so I am chalking that one up on the success side.

Monday was a reasonable day for food. But the thing that wins the most points is I went for a walk. Wasn't long, wasn't fast and furious, it was just a walk. But that is certainly a "step" in the right direction don't you think?

Are you bleary eyed with boredom yet? I hope not. Because this has been very therapeutic for me. I promise it won't be like this every week! Just two more days.....just two more days to hang with me here. Stick with it. You can do it, I know you can!

Tuesday was a somewhat disappointing day. I was suppose to get my hair done, but it got cancelled on me but not before I had killed 2 hours before finding out it had been cancelled....1 1/2 of which I sat at Panera Bread. I had 1/2 of an almond chicken salad sandwich, which by the way is very tasty but loaded with mayo I'm sure, and a cup of the chicken and wild rice soup which is thick and creamy - which equals loaded with calories. Couldn't walk because I had a blister....and you know if you can't walk there is no other kind of exercise you can do. Oh well, tomorrows another day.

As bad as Tuesday was, Wednesday was as good. The free lunch that was served at work today was just the beginning. Apparently I am a free food magnet! Just hang with me and food just falls in your lap! We just started with new vendors for the vending machines and as a customer appreciation they served free grilled chicken sandwiches complete with a side of fruit salad and a cookie. I DID NOT take the cookie and only ate half the bun. Fixed myself some of my single serve veggies and had a very delightful lunch. For supper I made shrimp quesadillas on the barbie. Walked around Kohl's for over an hour while saving money....not only did I SAVE money... I MADE money....it was Kohl's Cash day. I'll be going back in a few weeks to spend the $50 I earned!

So that is the end of my first week. And as a result of the sacrifices and exercises I lost 3.4 pounds! I know that is probably just water weight, but at least that's 3.4 pounds of water that isn't sloshing around on my butt! It isn't much but it is a start and hopefully will be the first of many I loose.

Thanks for indulging me in my week long food expose'. I promise next week won't be as long and hopefully more interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Yah! 3.4 pounds...that was the size of one of my patients the other day! :) Way to go, Mom. Love you!

    ReplyDelete