September 27, 2009

It Was A CRANtastic Weekend!!!

After what has seemed like the quickest summer on record, we found ourselves with a beautiful fall day and nothing to do. So we loaded up the Blue Pacifica and traveled up north to a land called Wisconsin. We dropped in on Warrens, Wisconsin's Cran Fest. And my oh my what a CRANtabulous festival it was.

This festival was just chock full of crafts, produce, food and flea marketers. It was a veritable crafter's/flea-marketer's CRANtasy! If you were in need of a wrought iron coat tree in the shape of a huge eagles nest....they had it. Looking for baked goods made special for your pet? Look no further, there was plenty at the Cran-Fest. How about any kind of Indian dreamcatcher you could imagine. Yep, two booths of those much sought after adornments right there on Main Street. Always wanted your home to smell of cranberry? Then the tables full of cranberry pot pourri would have had your senses tingling.

And the food. You could get cranberry ice cream, cranberry cheese, cranberry sausage, cranberry fritters, cranberry juice, cranberry fudge, cranberry wine, cranberry smoothies, cranberry salsa, cranberry muffins, cranberry apple sauce, cranberry BBQ sauce....just throw a cranberry on something and call it good!

Oh, and the best part, we got to tour an actual, working cranberry farm. Are you green with CRAN-envy? It was very CRAN-ucational.

So if you ever get a chance, I would highly recommend the Cran Fest for a day of fun and adventure. It is one that we won't soon forget!!! Enjoy some of the scenes from our CRAN packed day.


Welcome to Warrens



Just a glimpse of the humanity roaming the streets
in search of anything cranberry.




We ate lunch in the basement of this Baptist Church.



This was lunch, notice the green beans.
Yep, you guessed it, cranberries.
They actually were quite good.



This is our bog tour guide, Bill Heffener
(No relation to Hugh.)
Bill is an agent with the UW Ag department.
He serves the farmers in Monroe county.
Here he is telling us that
"We will be goin to da cranberry bog
and lookin at da equipment and what not dat dey use
ta grow da cranberries."




This was our Cranberry Chariot.




This is a field of unharvested cranberry bogs.
They don't flood them until they are ready to harvest.
Huh...who knew?



This appears to be a sweet, little old lady
enjoying a beautiful
day at the cranberry farm, but DON'T BE FOOLED.
She was a wild woman. I watched her step on some
girls toe while trying to
snap pictures of the farm machinery.
Here she had just elbowed her way
up from the back bumping
into me and nearly sending me down the hill
into the irrigation ditch.
She was CRAN crazy I tell ya.




This is my attempt to get an up close picture of
the cranberry in it's natural habitat.




More berries than you can shake a stick at.




Here Agent Bill mesmerizes our little group with his
vast knowledge of all that is cranberry.




This is a new bog in the making



I wasn't close enough to hear this conversation, but this is how I imagined it:

Dano: Say a guy wanted to build one of these in his back yard, how much do you figure it would cost?

Bill: Oh, I would say a pretty good penny sir. You would hav ta hav da land excavated and sand brought in. Den you would hav ta buy the plantin's, install da irragation system, build yourself one of dem reservoirs. It would be quite expensive.



Dano: But if I could do the digging my self, or say get some friends over, buy some pizza and get them to help. That would cut down on the cost don't you think. I have some friends that own a bob cat that I think I could get to come over and do some of the excavating. My friend Dan Wade, he builds houses and remodels on the side, has his own bob cat and I think he could knock something like this out in oh say a day or two.

Bill: Well, yea, if you got somebody ta help. That would cut down on the cost.

Dano: I don't think I need a cranberry bog, but my wife, she is always watching HGTV and coming up with little projects for me to do. She will probably start wanting one of her own so I just wanted to get an idea of what it would cost a guy.


Dano: So you do much fishing in the reservoirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment