January 19, 2009

Book Report!!!

I enjoy reading, but find that once I have started a book, it is very difficult to put it down. I tend to let every thing go until I finish it. I certainly can't stop at the end of the chapter because I have to know how the tragedy works itself out. It is just a vicious cycle!!

As far as the kinds of books I read, that varies. Christian fiction is always an easy read. Just an opportunity to let my mind get lost into the story. The problems that the characters have are always far more exciting than my own simple existence. I mean really, when will I ever be caught up in a plot to discover my mother's past as in "Ruby Among Us" by Tina Ann Forkner, or I will never be married to the man who has discovered the cure for alcoholism as in "The Cure" by Athol Dickson. So fiction is just a pleasant way to remove myself from the dreary day to dayness. I also enjoy reading books that stretch my thinking and encourage me to improve my walk with God. Although "The Shack" by William Young is technically fiction, it made me examine how I view God and his relationship with me and is probably on my list for my top 5 favorites. John Eldredge ("Walking With God") and Brennan Manning ("Raggamuffin Gospel") also make me think outside the box. Although, some of the things they write about I may not agree with 100%, they still make me think about WHY I disagree with them and how I might argue my point with them. I also try to read books that will increase my knowledge, but those are pretty few and far between. Remember, my existence is simple and so is my mind!! Usually, I am also always in the middle of some sort of Bible Study. For instance, right now I am working on "Esther; It's Tough Being A Woman" By Beth Moore.

But today I just finished the book "Where Do I Go?" by Neta Jackson.
It is the first book in the follow-up series of the Yada Yada series. If you are looking for an enjoyable, light read, with characters that are believable and approachable, you will enjoy this book.

The book has some of the same characters from the Yada Yada series, but if you haven't had the pleasure of reading those books, you will still be able to pick right up with "Where Do I Go?". It introduces a new protagonist in Gabrielle "Gabby" Fairbanks. A Midwestern girl who has been dealt a bad hand in her early life, but seems to have recovered nicely with her new, handsome, wealthy, southern husband and their two young boys with their life in Virgina. That is until she is moved to Chicago and through a series of "coincidences" finds her world broken and hopeless. But the "coincidences" that appear to be the reason her life has been blown apart are the very things that will help hold her together.

If simplicity, encouragement and hope is what you are looking for in a book, I would recommend this one. But be careful, the characters will grow on you and you will be hooked and have to back up and read all 7 Yada Yada books until the next book in this series is released in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment