January 13, 2009

What's in a name?

As many of you probably know, I am soon going to be a grandma to a little boy. My son and his wife are expecting the little man in May and I can hardly wait. Of course there is much planning to do before you can bring a child home from the hospital. There is the nursery; what will the theme be, what colors will we paint it, what style crib will we buy? Then of course there are the layette necessities; diapers, clothing, diapers, teething rings, diapers, blankets, diapers.....you get the picture. But one of the paramount choices to be made is the name.

Isn't interesting that one of the most intimate parts of your claim to humanity is chosen for you by someone else? This puts a great deal of pressure on a parent. Some parents have chosen to throw caution to the wind and name their child much like one would name a puppy or a doll. I am thinking of the rocker Frank Zappa's children; Diva, Dweezil, Moon Unit, & Rodan Zappa. How about Jermajesty Jackson, son of Jermaine Jackson. Or one of my favorites, I. P. Freely Carradine, son of Kung Fu fighter, David Carradine. Others choose names with significant family meanings. For example, if we had chosen to go this route Christopher would be known to all as Elmo. You see my husband's father's name is Elmo.....and so is my grandmother's. Well, her given name was Flora Elmo, but she preferred to be called Elmo. I wished I would have asked her why. Still others choose their names according to their meanings. In Genesis Isaac and Rebekah named their twin sons Jacob and Esau. The name Jacob means "heal grabber" or "supplanter." This name fit him well because as the Bible tells us Jacob was delivered grasping his brother's heel and eventually supplanted Esau from his rightful place as heir and eventually ruled over him. Esau's name fit him well too, as it meant hairy. I wonder, did they live up to their names or were their names their destiny?

Personally, we chose the names of our children just because they were classical names that would fit a child and still be acceptable adult names. Also, simply for the beauty of the name itself. I looked up the meanings and was pleased to find that they were encouraging and grounded in Biblical history.
Christopher - bearing Christ
Elizabeth - my God is abundance
Stephanie - crown
My name, Deidria, on the other hand, means raging, broken-hearted, darkness or fear. Celtic legend holds that Deirdre died of a broken heart after her lover's murder. I wonder, did I live up to my name? I hope not and certainly hope it isn't my destiny!

Either way the name is chosen, it is the years and years of love, caring, instruction and guidance that follow that will shape the child. I am sure the name chosen plays a part in how a child is received depending on the environment and culture is exists in. But if the parent has instilled an unshakable confidence and built in that precious child, the foundation of who they are in the eyes of their creator God, they will grow old knowing that they are loved. If no one else on this earth loves them, their Abba Father does. Once any of us have come to that realization, not even a name like I.P. Freely can crush us. Whether our names be Dweezil or Gavin we are known to God by name. He calls us by name because we are his (Isaiah 43:1). We are graven on the palms of his hand (Isaiah 49:16). He loves us.

So go ahead Chris and Kelly, name my little man whatever you choose. I know that whatever name we call him here on earth, in heaven God will call him his own and that is far more important than the name that will be on his birth certificate, his report card, his driver's license, his diploma, his business card, his social security check (if there will be one then) or his tombstone. The name you give him will walk with him all his life. But the Name Above All Names will walk with him all of eternity.

If you would like to help Chris and Kelly choose a name, stop by their blog and vote for one of the names they are considering. You can find them at http://peaceloveandcantwells.blogspot.com/

Love,
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment