January 10, 2009

It's Snowing.....Again!

Yes, it is snowing again here in northern Illinois. The last couple of years we have experienced several significant snow storms. I remember, however, that when I was a child winters were almost always snowy like this. I also remember the very fashionable winter apparel that we wore.

I can remember a plaid, wool-y kind of coat with big buttons. Girls of course were allowed to wear pants under our dresses. You see, even though I attended a public school, it wasn't until probably 1969-70 that girls were allowed to wear pants to school. So in the winter we would slip our stretch pants on underneath our dresses and have to take them off once we were at school.

I also remember a hat that fit very snuggly to the head and had fur running all around the front with ties that had big fur balls on the ends. I can't remember if I wore mittens or gloves. That detail escapes me. However I do vividly remember the footwear. Ah yes, I wore boots and changed once I was at school into the shoes that were left there for that purpose (book bags and back packs were uncool so transporting them was not an option). But the stunning factor of the winter boot was the plastic bread wrappers I wore before putting the boots on!!!

Yes, for whatever reason, my mother thought I needed an extra layer of waterproof protection and came up with this idea of putting bread bags on my feet before I put the boots on. She must of thought this would best provide this much needed barrier to the wet snow. So every morning I would slip on my Wonder Bread bags, then my boots, slide into my coat and button it up, pull on my furry hat, and then I don't know, stuff my hands in my pockets I guess. Just kidding, I am sure my mom made sure my hands were well covered, I just don't recall how. And off to school I would go. I don't remember being ridiculed for the anti-dampness accessory, so apparently no one noticed or everyone else was wearing their own Sunbeam bags!

I would love to hear your winter memories. You can leave them here by clicking on the word "comments" type your story in the box marked comments. Click on the "select profile" drop down box and choose anonymous. Then click on "publish comment".

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dee! I live in Northern Illinois as well, so I can totally relate. Spring seems like a loooong way off!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete