January 31, 2009

Hair - larious....

Oh I feel so good today. I got my hair done last night. I no longer have that dark brown/gray streak running down the length of my part! Now every strand is a beautiful, warm brown with gorgeous highlights sprinkled through that pick up the sun and just glow. Sparkle I tell you. It is exactly how God intended for my hair to look!

I haven't always been so confident with my hair. My earliest memory is when I was probably 6 or 7. I was in the first grade and had gotten a haircut. I remember going to my room and crying because I looked in the mirror was convinced that I looked just like one of the Beatles. I was just sure that whoever it was that cut my hair was obsessed with Ringo Starr and decided I should honor the drummer by sporting his same hair style. Oh, if I had only known then what I know now, it was to be the first in a long line of hair disappointments.

Well I eventually moved into the "shag" era. For those who don't know what a shag is, it is really just a feminine mullet. It is cut short and layered all over the head but there is just a little fringe that hangs down the back of the neck to about the top of the collar. Marvelous...just stunning. I spent my middle school years looking very much like Florence Henderson from the Brady Bunch. Then my junior year in high school I got rid of the modified mullet and let it start to grow. I also thought I needed some color. So documented for life in my senior pictures are my two blond streaks about 1/2 inch thick on each side of my part just on the bangs. Oh it was beautiful!!

Then the perm years. Ah yes, short and curly, long and curly. A good perm would last for months!! My daughter accuses me of ruining her childhood and scarring her for life by having her hair permed. I just think it built character. Yes the perm years were dark years and lasted for quite a while. We really just don't like to talk about them.

Now we are in the color enhanced years. I had made a decision I was not going to color my hair to hide the gray so I started before the gray appeared. Now I could be the most beautiful shade of silver to ever grace this earth, but I will never know because Kris at Riverside Salon has found the perfect color for me and I thank God every time I walk out that door.

I will always struggle with fine, bodiless hair, but it will always be the color of buttered toast. Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment